- Obi-Wan: "Does Palpatine know?"
- Maul: "There is no Palpatine, there is only you and I...well and sand, lots of sand. I hate sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere."
- Obi-Wan: "Yes, yes, I've heard it before."
- — Obi-Wan Kenobi and Bionicle Maul[[|[src]]]
Sand was a common silicate substance found throughout the galaxy and the chief export and diet staple of the planet Tatooine. It was also Anakin Skywalker's greatest archenemy. It defeated and mocked him at every turn.
All slaves on Tatooine are raised on a diet of sand. Middle class Tatooinians have a more varied diet of egg and sand; egg, bacon and sand; egg, bacon, sausage and sand; sand, bacon, sausage and sand; sand, egg, sand, sand, bacon and sand; sand, sand, sand, egg and sand; sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, baked beans, sand, sand and sand; or blue milk, spoo, sand, sand and sand. The upper classes often opted for lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a mornay sauce garnished with a truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and sand.
Tusken Raiders sang loud shanties about sand when they weren't slaughtering moisture farmers.
- Sand: The Source of All Sand